- 8-oz duck bacon, cooked, chopped coarsely
- One sourdough baguette, cut in 1/2″ slices
- Fine-quality extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing bread, and serving
- 3 large, ripe avocados, pitted, peeled, cubed
- Fresh zest and juice of one orange
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup toasted pistachios, chopped very finely
- Preheat oven to 400F
- To cook duck bacon, lay slices single-layer in cast-iron skillet, ideally, or on heavy baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Roast in pre-heated oven for about 10-15 minutes, until sizzling, and slightly curled at ends.
- Drain pieces on paper towels if desired OR, do what I did – drain fat into a little jar, and use it to cook with later!
- Chop in pieces as tiny as possible.
- Brush baguette slices lightly with olive oil. On hot grill or under broiler, toast bread until just lightly browned.
- Mash avocado chunks with zest, juice, and salt until creamy and smooth.
- Assemble Avocado Toast by spreading mashed avocado on baguette slices, top with duck bacon dice, and place on serving platter.
- Sprinkle lightly with crushed pistachios, and finally drizzle very lightly with olive oil to serve.